Dock Bridge
Detailed description
The dock or drawbridge is across the Peter the Great Canal in the St. Petersburg suburb of Kronstadt. It got its name because of its proximity to Petrovsky Dock. Built between 1854 and 1856, the bridge was renamed “Dock Bridge” instead of the wooden sliding “Humpbacked” bridge. The project engineer is Lieutenant Colonel N. P. Bogdanovsky. The foundation of the new bridge was laid by the forces of the Port of Kronstadt. It is notable for the fact that it was assembled using rivet joints, since welding technology was not yet sufficiently developed at that time to create such a structure. When it was necessary to moor the ship, the bridge was simply pushed aside, the ship passed, the bridge was returned back. Now the drawbridge is no longer needed, but only this bridge in Kronstadt is capable of being raised. The dock Bridge is the only drawbridge in St. Petersburg that is moving away, it does not need to be raised. In 2019, major repairs were carried out, the rotary adjustable mechanism was fully restored. The key elements are stored at the base of the bridge building organization, and the bridge can be easily turned if the ship needs to dock.
Position on the map
Address
Dokoviy most, Kronstadt, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 197760